Thursday 24 November 2011

Doing Good and Getting...?

I was once scrolling through my facebook's homepage where I saw one of my friend's status message, it said, "Doing good leads you nowhere..!"; I bet she was upset about not getting what she expected. This led me to thinking, is doing good relative to getting good? If all the good we do is because we expect we'll be reciprocated with goodness in return?
The objects of the world, the people around us or say all the external objects a person interacts with,is not in his or her control. Their reactions cannot be in any one's control, anticipating and having expectations from the same is folly of one's own mind. Human mind is so dynamic that one can never really judge in which direction it would jump. Now, with something as unstable as this, how can I expect robotic and monotonic responses?! Hence, my good doings don't give me any guarantee of good receivings!
If someone believes in good-ness and always does good just because that person feels he or she be treated well in return; then I wonder if such good-ness is even good?!THINK!
According to me, if one feels like always doing good then one must continue doing good, even if you are left with empty hands; such actions are genuine and uncontaminated by the prejudice of expectations. The things that actually leave you hurt are expectations and attachments. Expectations not fulfilled leaves one discontended; expectations unmatched from someone you're attached to leaves you feeling hurt. So, friends let's not fall into the trap of expectations( negative) and attachments. let's keep ourselves free from such self created bondages, feel the life inside us and not put our heads and hearts into so much trouble.
Let's not just settle with good, let's strive to achieve greatness.
Replacing goodness with greatness will make our actions self-less and nobler.

What do you say? :)

9 comments:

  1. But what is meant by "Doing Good?" Isn't right and wrong just a matter of perception? Come to think of it, when you do something do you ask yourself whether you are doing good or do you ask yourself am I doing it right?But having no expectation, I'd be a saint then...

    Thankyou, unlike the stuff I read, this one made me think!

    "Replacing goodness with greatness will make our actions self-less and nobler."- Favorite line!

    Cheers,
    kz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expectations that occupy your mind so much that you can't even think beyond it, those are the expectations we shouldn't have.
    Everything is a matter of perception.
    For an extremist violence is good or so to say the right thing to do and vice-versa for an ahimsak!
    So how do we define what is right-wrong or good-bad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thank you.. :) for coming and reading it!
    n your welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S- like the new look..?
    I'll be changing it often..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exactly my point. What is right for one person may not be justifiable in some other persons mind.But what you call expectation I call hope...its the only way I know.


    ps The font is a bit hard to read but change is always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well wait till I find a proper answer! and, I will.. :) Thank you for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. umm... Hope and expectations are different things..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope and expectations are different things. Yes and no. I hope that you do this, I expect you to do this, here they are different things. But I have some hopes and aspirations, some expectations from life, aren't they similar like that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey girl!

    so i finally get time.. :)

    Expectation is more of an obligation on the other person. You always feel you'll get something back in return. Whereas, hope is a kind of wish, its not an obligation on anyone. I hope you would reply but I don't really always expect you to reply. If you do it's great! Eve if you don't it's your choice.

    Keep Smiling.. :)

    ReplyDelete